Monday

FAIRE Part The Second: A Fortuitous Meeting.


Last weekend of April 2012, Anime Central (Acen):
So there I was, corseted and cat-eared with nothing to do. It was Sunday and therefore the last day of the convention. Some of my friends had already left and the rest said that they would return after getting food. In the mean time, I was bored and wandering the dealers room with a boy who I'd met the night before. Neither of us wanting to take the lead in our wanderings, I decided on a few stops and then announced my intention to go hang at the Bristol Faire booth because I love Faire, miss Faire, and why the fuck not. By now, I had gained the confidence in myself to start a conversation with a random stranger so I went right up and did so. That is how I met Anne. She, in turn, pointed me to Shane. I recognized him immediately as the man who'd eaten a turkey leg from the trash, but that was really all that I remembered.

Image stolen from facebook courtesy of Bill Hillihan

"I've always wanted to work at Ren Faire," I tell him offhandedly after some conversation and funny voice impressions, "but it wasn't until this year that I looked into trying out, and by then I'd already missed them."
He then tells me that he is one of the cast directors and he is always looking for new people. He explains RenQuest to me and explains that there is also a children's version called Kid's Quest. Kid's Quest generally has a Troll, Sterling (real name, Chris), and two wizards, some combination of the Spellworthy siblings, leading the nipperkins (children) on the quest. This year they had hit a slight snag: Chris' wife had, had a baby. This meant that he might be called away at the drop of a hat and Shane wanted to make sure that Chris could do so, without leaving KQ troll-less. This is where he hoped that I could come in if I was interested and comfortable working with children. I acquired his card, and departed with my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment